About the Club

A Small Bay and a Beautiful Pasture

A journey back in time gives all our longtime members pride in what they built and newer members’ appreciation of the past. The Coveleigh story began in 1933, when Townsend Wainwright, the owner of the property, called it Coveleigh. The name refers to the "cove" meaning a small bay and "lea" refers to a pasture. Richard Wainright, Townsend Wainright's father, originally owned the Coveleigh clubhouse and surrounding property on Milton Point. The property was purchased in the late 1800's and in the early 1900's the Wainright family lived in our clubhouse. Each room had a fireplace, and there were formal gardens where our pool is now located. The front exhibition tennis court was built at about the same time.

During World War I, the house was leased and sold in the 1920's. One owner of the property built a nine hole golf course and established a private club called the Peningo Club. The first tee was once located at the site of our bowling green and explains why some of the bowlers still get "teed" off. The remaining holes were spread throughout Milton Point. In time, the Peningo Club failed and Townsend Wainright foreclosed the property and leased it to Coveleigh in 1934.

Sailing and boating were active, and for many years Coveleigh was part of the Sunday afternoon sunfish sailing regatta competition races against our neighboring clubs. Some of our current members were part of the sailing events, viewed by many. Since 1953 when Lawn Bowling was introduced this sport has had a special place in our club and distinguished it from other clubs.


In 1964, the membership narrowly approved the construction of the swimming pool to replace the formal gardens. A number of current members were part of this decision, some preferring to swim in the "queen of the sound" waters. The platform tennis courts and additional tennis courts were added and this produced a cove. Coveleigh's layout and complex make it one of the most attractive clubs anywhere. Its birth and growth through world events spanning seven decades is a remarkable story. Fascinating for all now is the vision and plan that will take Coveleigh into the future. It's a good place to be.

 

In 1990, all red clay courts were converted to Har-Tru courts, one and two built and nine and ten converted from asphalt to Har-Tru.